Saturday 1 May 2010

Lactate Intolerance

am: 1200, 10 mins, 10x25 sec hills(WBR), 15 mins, 800 – 3.25, ave 150m, 2.05
pm: 45 mins easy on trails
16.5mi


I slept by far the best I have since arriving. I got up at just before 0800 and had a good bowl of porridge and an orange juice plus a strong cup of coffee just before heading out. We got a bit of telling off at reception for having a fire the other night but I don't think we'll do it again! I jogged nice and easy to the track and then rounded it up on the flat grass. It was windy and humid this morning which wasn't ideal as it made me feel slightly light-headed. I did all my stretched, drills and strides and felt ready to go. This session took training at altitude to a whole different level. I had to run every stride of the 1200 on my own with Lisa Dobriskey breathing down my neck for most of it! I found it really tough for the first couple of laps and then on the 3rd my body felt numb and tingly and although I ran a 69 I felt much, much better. On the hills I felt strong up until the last 20m of each rep where the lactic kicked in; particularly after 8 reps or so. The 3.40 1500 guys really stole a march on me which is to be expected but this type of elastic power is something I think I need to improve. I dropped my cross spikes on for the 800 and thought I’d gone off controlled but went through 800 in 59 and paid for it in the last 200! I spewed 5 times post-session as I was just over-run with lactate. A few minutes later I felt absolutely fine. I really enjoyed this session as it was a bit different and I found it easy to get my head round it. If I’d had guys to run with on the track reps then I know I’d have gone quicker. I had a banana and yoghurt within sight of the Dr so I should stay in his good books for a while longer (he gave me a pat on the back having seen my painful final 100m). I warmed down 3mi with Lewis then had a hot shower and went out to grab a fresh pizza. I gambled on a 'Western' which was covered in onion & minced beef and not only was it a dream, it totally filled me up. I checked on the live results of BUCS, browsed the web and then got a text update from Wilko saying the 15 boys were safely through. I stuck some shorts on and headed out for a massage. This massage was painful! My legs felt fine apart from one specific point in my calf which was pure agony and to be quite honest it didn't ease off. It seemed like a lot of pain for nothing as I had no discomfort running. I got back to the apartment and had a bowl of cereal before a frustrating 0-0 on Pro against Rick. By this time it was 1700 so I went down to reception for an easy run with the group. Since the session there had been rain and hail all day and by the time of this run it was still pissing it down. I quite enjoyed running in the rain and on a bit of mud at the lake for a change, especially when I felt as fresh as a daisy. The other guys were out when I got back so I cracked on with making chilli con carne which went down well as a good athlete meal. I went on Skype to my Mum & Dad for almost an hour to talk training, the election and general gossip. I hit the sack early so I will be ok to get up and watch the 10k at Stanford tomorrow morning; fingers crossed Thommo, Vernon and most important for me, Cragg run well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.