Sunday 9 May 2010

The Last Run & The Worst Run

am: 90 mins very easy on trails in horrendous conditions + strides
pm: Light Circuits
12.5mi
Week: 75.5mi - A good week battling the snow for a lot of it and I seem to be managing my niggles


The flights were back departing Barcelona by 0700 this morning so it looks like I will be back in Old Blighty by tomorrow afternoon. The weather was shit this morning and I was not looking forward to the long run. I had some porridge and orange juice and reluctantly headed to reception. I spoke to George beforehand about how much to do as I know you’re supposed to run easy for the last few days of altitude. He said to drop to 90 mins and keep it very easy; thank goodness I didn’t have to do 1hr 50 today. I felt great today, my legs were fresh, my niggles had settled but the conditions were horrific. It is easily the worst Sunday run in recent memory. It rained very hard, there was a gale-force wind in our faces for most of it and anywhere we ran was covered in soaking wet ground so you couldn’t move fast. My face, hands and legs were numb by about 30 mins and it was just a case of survival. There weren’t many hills today, probably a good thing as I just wanted to get back to the flat in as little distress a possible. I struggled to peel my banana in the car as my fingers had lost all sensation but I got there in the end. I had a hot shower followed by soup, tea and bread back at the apartment. As is standard protocol here, I just got into bed with the intention of doing very little for the rest of the day. Jonny shouted up to me that on the news 20 Spanish airports have been closed until 8pm so the dream of staying a bit longer is back on! I am always very hungry post-Sunday run so I had some toast and cereal about 1330 and then played a bit of Pro. I did circuits some light core in the afternoon. I had to move my conditioning around a little this week due to the moving around of sessions due to the weather so this was a mini-maintenance session as if I am back in the UK tomorrow I’ll do circuits with the group and if not I’ll have drills with George. We watched bits and pieces of Chelsea's 8-0 demolition against Wigan to win the Premier League before going out for 'The Last Supper' at La Fromagerie. It was a great end to a great trip that I am so glad I went on. I was jealous as I got ready for bed knowing that Nuttall's boys were staying for another few days; plus I wasn't looking forward to an early airport transfer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.