Monday 10 May 2010

Tiddler 1 - 0 Ryan Air

am: Travel home from Font Romeu (door to door 0630 - 1530 GMT)
pm: Very easy 50 mins + 4 uphill strides on trails
7.5mi


It was an early start to today as myself, Sarah Tunstall & Aaron Thomas' group headed to Girona Airport at 0730 to fly back to Leeds Bradford Airport. It was set to be quite an eventful drive as Charlene told us that she wasn't a very good driver, hadn't driven in weeks and had never driven abroad. I managed to steal a few naps on the way down but any period that I was awake for involved near crashes, missing motorway junctions and a bit of cursing. We arrived safely at the airport 90 mins before departure and my next task was to get a 15kg sports holdall and a laptop satchel onto the plane without paying £35 for hold luggage. This involved initially sweet-talking the woman at the kiosk to no avail before ultimately emptying almost half my bag behind a pillar and asking the ever-reliable Jack Hallas to watch it (this was a huge risk in itself). Amazingly, the woman was happy to accept that I had discovered 5kg of basmati rice at the bottom of my bag that had to be sacrificed. The more difficult stage was negotiating boarding with two bags while the Gestapo blocked my way to Britain by announcing there was 'strictly one piece of hand luggage each' and watching like a health and safety officer in Aberdeen. I decided that to avoid an argument I would tie my laptop case to the bottom of my bag to give the appearance of a flat bottomed sports bag; I also dropped my passport at the feet of the steward as an added distraction. A fairly nondescript 2 and a half hours later I was out of the airport and on the bus home. I'm not sure whether it was mainly psychological but I felt incredibly drowsy and lethargic on my way back to Woodlesford but content with my 3 weeks work and happy to have made so many new friends, hopefully for life. Once I got home and started to sort my stuff out I felt even worse with really tired legs just getting up from the sofa. Come 1800 I ran through Millennium Park & along the canal trails. Surprisingly I felt really good. I was shocked to look at my HR and see it was in the 120s for at least the first 10 mins so that has to be a good thing. I expected to feel very sluggish as I had during the day but as soon as I set off I felt bouncy and fresh so I was naturally pleased. I ran with Lav who also wanted to run easy so I made sure I kept it very, very easy and just ran at what felt like the right pace. I didn’t feel too good on the uphill strides but not particularly bad; my Achilles was a little tight too. I know I'm settled back in Yorkshire when I've had once, mushy peas & a bread-cake from the local chippy for my dinner before hitting the hay relatively early as I was positively wiped out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.