Tuesday 11 May 2010

A Tory PM with a Liberal Deputy

am: Easy 35 mins on golf course & trails
pm: Very easy 35 mins + strides from SLS
10mi


My work placement at Yorkshire CCC doesn't start until tomorrow which is a huge relief as I struggled to get some consistent sleep last night. I woke up and just felt incredibly flat. It is amazing how sitting around doing nothing at home can make you feel so lethargic, whereas doing exactly the same for 5 of the last 6 weeks abroad has simply been a 'full-time athlete lifestyle.' I lazed around for much of this morning and then tied up a few loose ends which meant I went out a little later than I usually would. When I put my HR monitor on I was pleasantly surprised to see a resting HR of 36 – the lowest I can ever remember having. Unfortunately, this didn’t reflect how I felt whilst running. I went through short periods of feeling a little better but in the main I felt shit. My legs felt tired and I was generally sluggish; I couldn’t really be bothered to run beforehand so that probably played a part. I kept it very easy and spent most of the time encouraging my dog, he seemed to be having more of an off-day than I. I think I felt a bit flat after getting home and having no one to run with and knowing half of my apartment was still in the Fort, being a little run-down from travel and the weather being poor. I spent the rest of the day catching up on the 5 episodes of '24' that I have missed over the last few weeks and I am pleased to say that it is the best series for a long time. I had to set off to the club early as my Mum is on the entrance desk from 1745 on a Tuesday so I tucked 'From Last to First' under my arm with the intention of finally making some progress. This was to be in vain as I got roped into doing odd jobs for John Lunn, Martin Horbury and Leeds City A.C's new Secretary Janet Wilkinson! It was nice to catch up with people when they started to arrive and tell a few stories of my travels but what was even nicer was being able to run comfortably for half an hour or so. I felt really good running tonight; totally different to this morning. I had no real niggles apart from a slightly sore left foot. I warmed up with the guys and then did the rest with Ali around the clearings. It was at this time that he told me how he'd snuck into the Leeds Half Marathon the previous Sunday without a number and tried to stay with the leader for as long as he could! It was cool but nice weather which I think helped my mood as it was enjoyable to just do a nice relaxed run. I felt decent on strides too which was an added bonus. As I left the stadium news was filtering through that the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats had come to an agreement and David Cameron was the new Prime Minister. I couldn't help feeling excited at the prospect of a new government with the Lib Dems finally having a say; most importantly they will be able to temper the right-wing elements of the Tories. Suddenly, that vote for Nick Clegg had paid off. After dinner stayed up a little later than I should have because a) I wanted to watch all the reaction to the forming of the coalition and b) I had to scrape together an outfit for my first day at Headingley after realising 90% of my smart clothing is still in Selly Oak!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.